Video Poker FAQs and Answers
Video poker is one of the most popular casino games in the United States. With so many fun and exciting variations available on the web, it is unsurprising that this is true. Despite this, there are some US players out there who have never played a video poker game, or at the very least not online. Thus, they are a little bit unsure about the game and would like some questions about it answered. After all, this is a game that could possibly promise good gains if players employ basic strategies to lower house edge and win.
If you have some burning questions about video poker that you need answered, you have come to the right place. Below we have answered some of the most popular video poker questions across the USA. So, have a look as we may have some answers for your big questions, which could help you on your way to making playing video poker at US online casinos profitable.
Best Video Poker Casinos for US Players
What You’ll Find On This Page
- What is Video Poker?
- How do you play video poker machines?
- What are the odds for hands in video poker?
- What types of video poker variations are available online?
- What is the difference between video poker and regular poker?
- What type of video poker should I play?
- What is a royal flush in video poker?
- Does strategy matter in video poker?
- Should I keep a high card or low pair?
- Is online video poker legal?
Online video poker is a game that attempts to blend the fun parts of both poker and slot machines. The game first started appearing in casinos during some time in the 1970s. The game has since grown to become one of the most popular in casinos across the country. There are loads of different variations available at brick-and-mortar casinos, and online casinos. One of the great things about the game is that if players are able to implement the perfect strategy, they will ensure themselves a high payback rate.
Video poker is an easy game to get the hang of but if you’re a little worried, we’ve put together a list of steps to follow to get started in the game when playing online:
- Pick a casino you would like to sign up at.
- Select a variation you would like to play.
- Set your bet.
- Press the deal button. Depending on the variation, you’ll receive five cards.
- Hold or discard cards in your hand based on your strategy.
- If you have discarded some cards, you will need to press the “Deal” button again in order to receive new cards.
- Based on the game’s paytable, you win or lose your bet. Remember that the paytable makes use of poker hand values similar to slot winning patterns.
Most video poker games are based on five-card draw poker with games sometimes featuring their own unique variations. As such, games usually tend to use the standard 52 card deck, with the joker sometimes being added too. Most games make use of standard poker hand values. The odds of getting any of those hands while playing are as follows:
- Straight Flush – 1 in 72193
- Royal Flush – 1 in 649740
- Full House – 1 in 694
- Four of a Kind – 1 in 4165
- Straight – 1 in 255
- Flush – 1 in 509
- Two Pairs – 1 in 21
- Three of a Kind – 1 in 47
- A Pair – 1 in 2.37
It is important to note that these numbers could fluctuate based on the variation of video poker you choose to play.
There are loads of different video poker games available online. Some of the most popular variations available at US casinos include:
- Jacks or Better
- Deuces Wild
- Double Bonus
- Double Double Bonus
Video poker is sort of a slot machine mixed with poker. The game takes all the general rules of traditional poker games to create a new variation of the popular card game that is widely preferred by some players. There are two major differences between the two games:
- Video poker is a solo game that sees players try to make the best possible hand. They do not play against a dealer or other players.
- As they do not play against other players, they win bets just for creating a particular hand. Similar to slots, hand payouts work according to a payout table. Think of it as making a pattern on a slot game.
This really depends on the player but if you are a beginner, we really recommend that you start out with a Jacks or Better variation. The reason is that it is easy to learn how to play and players can easily apply basic strategies to the game that may help lessen potential losses.
If you are a more experienced player, we generally recommend going with a game that is a little more exciting, such as Deuces Wilds, Joker Poker and Sevens Wild. You are more likely to have more fun placing bets with these games.
We also recommend that players (new and old) keep an eye out for new video poker games available at their casino. Software developers are always creating new games, and you’ll want to give them a go when they come out to see whether or not they are worth your time.
As in regular poker, a royal flush is a hand that features cards in the order of a straight flush (10, Jack, Queen, King and Ace) but all in the same suit. It is the highest possible hand that players can make in poker and will payout unseemly sums if you are lucky enough to create such a hand in any form of poker.
In short, it does. The one thing it is always important to keep in mind that gambling games are always based on chance and that previous results do not influence upcoming results. That said, there is a limited degree of influence players are able to exert over the game through the use of effective strategy.
Each video poker strategy will have its own preferred strategy and we recommend that players actually do take the time to learn strategies for the game they would like to play. The end result is generally always at the very least reduced losses but in the best situations, great winnings.
We tend to recommend that players stick with low pairs. Players don’t often realize the value behind these cards. Yes, at times a high card such as a King could get you a win, but you will earn more should you hold onto the pair. It is important to note that video poker games often have their own paytables with each hand value providing players with a higher payout.
The answer to this question is dependent on the state in which you live. If you live in a state that actively bans all form of online betting, then we wouldn’t give playing online poker a chance. However, if you live in a state that does allow online gambling or does not even explicitly ban it, we’d sign up to one of the recommended casinos above and begin playing video poker for real money now.