Atlantic City Blackjack, is played with eight 52 card decks and gets its name from where it originated. Each of the decks does not include jokers. This variation of blackjack was first played in casinos in Atlantic City in the state of New Jersey. The game still has the same principles of blackjack, i.e. to have a hand better than the dealers without busting. Atlantic City Blackjack was predominantly played in land-based casinos and has made its ways to online casinos in the US. Players who want to play the game must learn what makes this Atlantic City variation different from other blackjack games. Once they have understood the unique rules of the game, they can begin to play at the online Atlantic city blackjack tables for real money.
Not all casinos online provide Atlantic City blackjack tables. That is why we have compiled safe casino sites with this variation of blackjack for US players. Additionally, we have included a simple guide with rules and easy to understand tips. Whether you are new to playing blackjack Atlantic City style or you are familiar with the game you will find these tips helpful.
Play Atlantic City Blackjack Online in USA
How to Play Atlantic City Blackjack
Atlantic city Blackjack is played in a similar way to standard blackjack. The main differences are the rules, how often you can split and the number of decks used.
- Firstly, the dealer hands out cards face up for each play at the blackjack table and one card face down for him/herself.
- Another round of cards is handed out for all players and the dealer face up.
- After that the strategy comes onto play. Each player must then decide whether to hit, stand, split or double down on the hand that they have. The aim is to have a hand that is better than the dealer’s hand without busting.
Atlantic City Blackjack Tables Rules
- The game uses eight decks of cards with no jokers
- The dealer stands on a soft seventeen (a soft seventeen is a hand that totals seventeen made from an ace and a six. Any had that is made up of an ace is considered “soft”)
- Split – Players can split their hands up to three times. Aces though can only be split once. Splitting means separating two cards to form two unique hands
- Double Down – with this move a player can double their bet and get an extra card. However, you cannot hit and then double down but you can split and double down.
- Late surrender –Players can end their game before the round is finished and lose half their bet. This move is often done when a player has poor hands and wants to minimise losses. It is not advised to always choose late surrender.
Atlantic City Blackjack Strategy Chart
Doubling down is one of the most important parts of the blackjack strategy. Because doubling down often means forfeiting the right to hit again you have to be very sure about your move. For newer players we would advise splitting your hand before doubling down. That way you can play two separate hands in case one busts. The best tool for new and experienced players is an Atlantic City Blackjack strategy chart, which can help you with best move depending on what the dealer has. Now remember the dealer’s hand is only half exposed, therefore all the player’s decisions are a split between luck and an informed guess. A strategy card helps in showing players the safest move depending on which card is face up for the dealer.
|Player’s Hand|| Dealer’s Face Up card
|8 / less||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|9||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|10||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit|
|11||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit|
|A2||Hit||Hit||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|A3||Hit||Hit||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|A4||Hit||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|A5||Hit||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|A6||Hit||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit||Hit|
|A7||Stand||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Double Down||Stand||Stand||Hit||Hit||Hit|